Director, Category Management
Store Support Center
Smart & Final is searching for aDirector, Category Managementfor our Store Support Center, located at 600 Citadel Drive, Commerce, CA 90040.
TheDirector, Category Managementwill report to the Sr. Vice President, Sales & Merchandising and is responsible for leading and developing a team of Category Managers and managing all activities of assigned categories within all Smart & Final stores, including: budgeting, monitoring sales and margin plans in accordance with stated goals. Also, vendor negotiations, product presentation, new item and advertisement decisions. Must maintain awareness of market trends. Makes decisions in all facets of the business within the assigned categories as a result of the interpretation of data from available market sources using the principals of category management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works with all departments to make decisions regarding the category, including vendor choice, pricing, space management, marketing, merchandising, etc. following the category management principals.
- Oversees competitive analysis, including auditing competitive product selection, displays and pricing through on-site visits and market research.
- Meets with vendors, conduct research to identify new products, identify ways to increase profitability, and stay ahead of the competition in both speed to market and innovation.
- Negotiates with vendors for cost of goods, promotional dollars, rebates, delivery terms, payment terms and growth incentives within corporate guidelines.
- Works with replenishment team to ensures that the category meets budgeted goals in service level, inventory turns, profit margin, and in managing all supply chain components.
- Responsible for annual goals in areas such as sales, profit, net profits, shrink LDC, inventory turns for the Categories and Category Managers assigned to them.
- Stays updated on all competitive situations in the markets in which we do business.
- Analyzes product profitability, selection, display and assortment using category management practices.
- Ability to analyze external and internal data, interpret and make decisions and recommendations to management based off of this data.
- Work with corporate brands to develop private label products to enhance sales and profits.
- Budgets and monitors sales and margin plans of assigned categories in accordance with personal and company overall goals.
- Audits competitive product selection, displays and pricing through on-site visits.
- Directs merchandising and pricing departments to maximize sales and profits in assigned categories.
Manages Category Managers to attain budgeted goals in sales, profit margin and backstage funds.
Supervises, mentors and trains Category Managers in developing their category management, planning, communication, systems, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Must have strong interpersonal/negotiation skills and the ability to read and interpret documents such as product specifications, market reports, training programs, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to present/speak effectively before groups of company executives, vendors/suppliers, customers, and/or employees of organization.
Personal computer skills including Excel, Power Point and Word and the ability to apply these skills to essential duties and responsibilities; an example of such specific computer skills is proficiency in Excel spreadsheet tools.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
PHYSICAL DEMANDSThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to sit. The associate frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The associate is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and taste or smell. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance and peripheral vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college/university preferred. Ten or more year’s prior grocery industry experience with a focus on produce/perishables is required. Prior experience developing and monitoring perishable quality specifications, performing price comps, and other related experience is preferred as is a working knowledge of warehouse flow, processes, and procedures . Prior supervisory/managerial experience is also required.
Must have strong negotiation skills and be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook and possess a general ability to adapt to new software. Must be able to develop, manipulate, format and share spreadsheets for purposes of analysis. Knowledge of Access or a similar relational database is desirable.