Sustainability Program Manager
UN1F1ED2 Global Packaging Group (UN1F1ED2) specializes in testing, manufacturing, and distributing highly engineered custom protective packaging, serving customers in the automotive, healthcare, technology and aerospace and defense industries, among others. We are a customer centric-organization and are passionate and relentless in our goal to continuously innovate and improve customer satisfaction. We are headquartered in Sutton, MA—where this role will be based—and have facilities in Massachusetts, North Carolina and Europe.
This is an exciting time to come join us and be an essential part of our sustainability journey. During 2021, UN1F1ED2 embarked on a journey to integrate sustainability into our strategy and operations. We know that this is the right thing for us to do. We believe that over time, this will help us strengthen our capabilities across the organization to better meet changing societal and customers’ expectations about packaging. We completed our first materiality assessment, where we identified the issues that are relevant to our stakeholders and that we need to prioritize from a social, environmental and governance perspectives. We also defined our strategic approach to sustainability and defined the three clusters around which our efforts will evolve. Our 3P’s strategic approach: Packaging Stewardship, Partnerships for Innovation and People Unified, represent the key areas where we have the greatest potential to impact our stakeholders and corporate performance over the long term. Our goal is to integrate sustainability in all facets of the organization and day-to-day operations, to proactively manage and mitigate our impact on the environment and society, so we can continue to thrive over the long term. To do so, we count with the commitment of the CEO and COO—members of the Steering Committee, and a passionate team of colleagues looking to fulfill our mission to provide our customers with innovative, high-quality, affordable, and more sustainable packaging solutions.
A s Sustainability Program Manager (SPM), you will play a significant role in the implementation, communication, and integration of sustainability across UN1F1ED2. You will shape and drive the implementation of UN1F1ED2’s sustainability approach and roadmap, working cross-functionally and serving as sustainability subject matter expert to guide and build internal knowledge base. You will also support customer engagements from the sustainability perspective.
We are looking for a self-starter, with subject matter expertise, who is highly collaborative and possesses strong program management and communications skills to lead this program. The ideal candidate can work with minimal oversight, is a continuous learner and has the ability to see the big picture, while focusing on the details.
Internally, the SPM will shape and guide the execution of our approach and roadmaps, lead the Sustainability Steering Committee and Sustainability Council, identify training needs across the organization and deploy training programs to build awareness and expand skills needed to successfully implement our approach. Externally, the SPM will support engagements with our customers and provide guidance and advice to account managers, as it relates to sustainability. As an outstanding communicator, you will help us engage internal and external stakeholders sharing our story, commitments and progress.
The SPM, will also drive the implementation of management systems across the multiple locations, support our efforts to measure and manage our carbon footprint, lead the identification of goals aligned with our 3P’s approach and identify and drive execution of projects and initiatives to meet these goals.
- Shapes and manages UN1F1ED2’s sustainability roadmap translating it into a project plan, prioritizing near-term and long-range actions, and driving accountability for achievement of goals
- Leads Sustainability Steering Committee, setting agenda, guiding senior executives on critical next steps, and securing buy-in to move forward
- Lead Sustainability Council, setting agenda, building awareness, and expanding knowledge base of its members to identify initiatives/projects to drive successful execution, and setting objectives and KPIs to manage/track performance improvement
- Maintains and updates UN1F1ED2’s Sustainable Guidelines playbook, as needed
- Drives the implementation of management systems (ISO 14001, 45001), in accordance with roadmap and in close collaboration with key internal stakeholders
- Manages and oversees relationship with LCA software tool vendor
- Maintains and updates materiality assessment and provides guidance to Steering committee and Council on changes/updates
- Maintains updated performance highlights to develop presentations and talking points to support our Engineering/Sales teams
- Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, environmental or sustainability sciences
- Strong project management skills with the ability to structure and advance multiple cross-functional initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to serve as a champion and spokesperson of UN1F1ED2’s sustainability efforts internally and externally
- Proven experience building trust, credibility, and confidence with a diverse set of internal partners, developing positive working relationships, and leading through influence to build consensus and prioritize action and results.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to lead, motivate and direct a workgroup.
- Ability to influence others to achieve results.
Advance knowledge of environmental management systems (EMS) ISO 14001, and occupational health and safety management systems (OHSMS) ISO 45001 a plus