At UL, we know why we come to work.
The Electrochemical Safety Research Institute (ESRI), of Underwriters Laboratories Research Institutes, is recruiting a Research Scientist III to conduct experiments, gather data, develop preliminary findings, and prepare written reports that supports the research of the institute. The Research Scientist III works closely with other ESRI leaders and researchers to carry out tests associated with battery safety science and other energy storage systems to ensure all processes are accurate and technically sound.
The Electrochemical Safety Research Institute advances UL Research Institutes’ public safety mission by investigating the safety and performance limits of energy technologies. ESRI conducts and publishes research on energy storage technology issues that range from consumer products to transportation and grid storage. Collaborating with a wide variety of partners to help meet the world’s energy safety needs, ESRI convenes a diverse group of stakeholders at events such as global battery summits and webinars to find data-driven solutions to new and emerging energy storage risks. ESRI also co-leads the Battery Safety Council with the National Transportation Safety Board.
At Underwriters Laboratories, we wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. Underwriters Laboratories stands at the forefront of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying? Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
UL has COVID-19 protocols and policies in place to ensure the safety of our employees, customers and clients. Effective November 1, 2021, the company mandates that employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (except where prohibited by law), subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
What you’ll learn & achieve:
- Identifies fundamental knowledge needed to enhance UL’s thought leadership and support the strategy of UL
- Applies intensive and diverse knowledge of engineering technology and systems engineering concepts to the specific research tasks. Exercises a high degree of judgment in formulating, evaluating, and correlating broad engineering research concepts and guiding the analysis of unique problems and developing new and improved techniques and methods.
- Analyzes product data and laboratory test results in order to determine trends and develop solutions.
- Stays ahead of changing technologies, in the field by reading journals and scientific publications, and attending academic conferences.
- Plan, design, and complete initial and follow-up procedures as needed to test and validate results.
- Work with students and teams.
- Assist with grant writing.
- Lead instrumentation setup and data collection.
- Oversee day to day lab/field operations.
- Present research results internally.
- Perform other duties as directed.
What makes you a great fit:
- Demonstrated general knowledge of electrochemical engineering, energy storage, battery safety and safety of other energy technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain engineering based academic and applied knowledge and skills.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Advanced data analysis skills.
- Advanced instrument design, installation, and programming skills.
- Ability to collaborate with peers and work directly with Research Scientists and other team members in order to complete a project from start to finish.
- Ability to serve as lead author on reports and papers.
Experience and Education Requirements
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or Engineering.
- Minimum 2 or more years directly related post-Phd work experience.
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 128 years and is deeply ingrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at UL. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
- Total Rewards: All employees at UL are eligible for bonus compensation. We offer a generous 401k matching structure of up to 5% of eligible pay. Additionally, we invest an additional 4% into your retirement saving fund after your first year of continuous employment. We provide Healthcare Reimbursement Accounts and Health Savings Accounts that UL contributes to twice per year! Depending on your role, you can work with your manager on flexible working arrangements. We also provide employees with paid time off including vacation, holiday, sick and volunteer time off.
UL Research Institutes is an affiliated nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing safety science research through the discovery and application of scientific knowledge. We conduct rigorous independent research and analyze safety data, convene experts worldwide to address risks, share knowledge through safety education and public outreach initiatives, and develop standards to guide safe commercialization of evolving technologies. We foster communities of safety, from grassroots initiatives for neighborhoods to summits of world leaders. Our organization employs collaborative and scientific approaches with partners and stakeholders to drive innovation and progress toward improving safety, security, and sustainability, ultimately enhancing societal well-being.
Our wholly owned subsidiary, UL Inc., advances our shared public safety mission. We fund our work through grants, the licensing of standards documents and the business activities of UL Inc., which conducts testing, verification and certification, and provides training and advisory services, along with data-driven reporting and decision-making tools for customers around the world.
To learn more, visit our websites UL.org and ULSE.org.