[Contingent: non-benefit eligible // minimum of 29 hours per week // onsite]Responsible for insuring the integrity of data within the Enterprise Master Patient Index (EMPI) by analyzing medical record duplicates and overlays, name discrepancies, name changes, and documentation errors in accordance with established policies and procedures. Enters physician information into the SER Masterfile, facilitates operative report completion via electronic systems, and monitors the physician suspension list. Works collaboratively with HIM staff, hospital departments, and other healthcare facilities to ensure timely resolution to patient identity errors.
Why Nationwide Children's Hospital?
The moment you walk through our doors, you feel it. When you meet our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are integrated into our core values and practices. We are passionate about building, sustaining and evolving an inclusive and equitable environment. We are seeking individuals who live these values and want to share their experiences and efforts in support of our collective mission.
We’re 14,000 strong. And it takes every one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids around the world we’ll never meet. Kids who live healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.
- Investigates and corrects patient record errors identified by work queues and reports.
- Reviews court documentation (Power of Attorney, HH Consents, Letter of Guardianship, Advanced Directives, DNR, and Custody Orders) to determine guardianship and who has the ability to consent for treatment.
- Contacts legal for difficult scenarios and updates the EMPI accordingly to ensure patient safety.
- Reviews and completes requests for name changes resulting from adoption, court orders, etc. upon receipt of proper documentation.
- Utilizes multiple resources to insure current state laws and custody statues are in order to make decisions on parental rights.
- Collaborates with Patient Care Services to assign/remove aliases to high profile patients or those with a risk of harm to protect the safety of the patient.
- Collaborates with the Medical Staff Office to onboard providers in a timely manner.
- Researches and verifies provider information, utilizing multiple online tools to insure accuracy of physician data within Epic.
- Monitors the physician exclusion list and makes the necessary adjustments in the SER Masterfile.
- Improves Meaningful Use by ensuring provider address, phone, and fax numbers are kept in synch with Epic data.
- Collaborates with the IS System Admin team to import verified providers into the SER Masterfile.
- Analyzes multiple work queues, emails, and iServ tickets to insure corrections are made in the patient’s chart in a timely fashion.
- Thoroughly researches and compares patient charts to determine whether or not a record needs to be merged or marked as a “known non duplicate”.
- Utilizes Contact Mover to move patient information between multiple records.
- Uses the Contact Audit Report to see which information needs to be manually moved and moves the data as appropriate.
- Unmerges records (including the clinical data), as needed, in accordance with established policies.
- Contacts parents and physician offices to validate demographic information prior to SER inclusion and/or merge process.
- Works with various clinicians to fix incorrect documentation and/or move it to the correct patient’s record.
- Insures that dictated/amended operative reports and progress notes are available in a timely manner, on a daily basis.
- Proctors/monitors the physician’s suspension list to insure that data is accurate and an alert is made to impacted physicians and HIM management, in the event of a problem.
- Reviews daily discharges and assigns deficiencies to the appropriate physician.
- Follows Joint Commission and CMS requirements by maintaining ZERO deficiencies at all times.
- Maintained by notifying and following up with physicians (via a notification letter) on what deficiencies need to be signed post discharge.
- Serves as a liaison with vendors and other departments to improve workflow processes.
- Imports patient charts from offsite owned NICU’s.
- Resolves HIM Interface errors.
- Manages iServ tickets by assigning them to the correct department or person. Corrects errors utilizing Epic, Streamline Health, etc. and communicates corrections to the appropriate downstream groups.
- Performs electronic charting investigations by comparing the updated information with the original information and making the corrections in the system.
- Works collaboratively with HIM staff, hospital departments, and other healthcare affiliates to ensure efficient resolution to patient identity errors.
- Modifies information as needed (i.e. Errors with DOB, transpositions of names, incorrect disposition codes, or other erroneous data).
- Responsible for processing any urgent medical record request(s) in a timely manner. This could include on call rotation for nights and weekends.
- Adheres to all guidelines set forth in the Commitment to my Co-Workers behavioral contract.
- Participates in departmental/hospital activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the HIM Coordinator/Supervisor/Manager/Director.
Reports to:Data Integrity Manager
Interacts with the following:
Information Services Physician Offices
NCH Clinics Vendors
Inpatient Units Children Services
Outpatient Lab/Radiology Attorneys
Registration Courthouse Clerks
Central Scheduling HIE Facilitators
Patient Care Services Parents
Education Department Patients
Legal Department Offsite NCH NICU’s
Medical Staff Office College & University Advisors
Compliance Office Students
Knowledge, skills and abilities required
- Current certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) preferred.
- Minimum High School graduate or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in a healthcare setting.
- Medical records experience preferred.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and government regulations regarding privacy, confidentiality, and release of information.
- Knowledge of Epic HIM systems preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint)
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills required.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, priorities, and deadlines.
- Analytical and organizational skills required.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills required
- Excellent customer service skills required with the ability to communicate with patients, families, attorneys, physicians, employees, and other hospital staff with tact and diplomacy.