Position: Youth & Camp Director
Department: Family Engagement
Status: Exempt, Full-Time, Benefitted, At-Will
Supervisor: Senior Director of Preschool, Youth, and Family Engagement
The Youth & Camp Director plans, directs, supervises and implements programs for school-age children and teens, ensuring that programs adapt to meet the changing needs of children and families. Programs include summer day camp, seasonal day camps, programs for children with special needs, after-school and out-of-school programs and teen leadership programs. The YCD will establish a fun and safe environment for children and teens of every background and belief to learn, explore new ideas and interests, and establish a strong sense of belonging to a supportive community. Programs will focus on imparting a connection to universal values through a Jewish lens, with a focus on respect, kindness and responsibility to one another. The YCD will strive to ensure that staff and program participants become responsible, respectful global citizens.
● Design, plan and oversee all school age programming, including summer camp, seasonal camps, special needs programs, youth enrichment, after-school and out-of-school programs and activities.
● Develop teen leadership and social programs through Jewish Silicon Valley and the APPJCC and in collaboration with community partners
● Ensure Judaic values and experiences are at the core of summer camp and other Youth and Camp programs
● Establish age-appropriate behavioral expectations and guidelines for children and families and provide consistent support for children, families and staff
● Create, plan, implement and maintain budgets for the entire Youth and Camp department
● Work with Marketing Department to develop exciting and engaging marketing strategies
● Manage and monitor program enrollment/registration, ensuring that all required paperwork is submitted and that budgeted enrollment expectations are maintained or modified as needed
● Maintain rosters and attendance records for all programs
● Provide regular communications with families, including weekly e-newsletters, personal conversations, and social media
● Adhere to and be knowledgeable of ACA standards and compliance. Carry out all policies and procedures of JSV and the ACA (American Camp Association) and maintain ACA certification.
● Respond to emergency situations in accordance with campus and JSV protocols
● Attend all Family Engagement committee meetings and chair the Camp taskforce.
● Hire and manage sub-contracted after-school and specialty camp vendors
● Inventory and maintain supplies/equipment
● Coordinate with other JSV departments and external partners to organize community events and programs
● Perform all other duties as assigned and as business dictates.
● Recruit, hire, onboard, regularly train and evaluate year-round and seasonal staff; ensure all staff understand best practices, manage groups of children well, communicate effectively with families and establish a strong staff community through team building activities.
● Create schedules and manage day-to-day operations (sick days, time off, cabin placement, etc.)
● Monitor staff interaction with children and assist with behavior management and communication with families as needed
● Plan, implement, and assist in leading weekly camp staff meetings to ensure all programs are accurate, safe, free of conflict, adequately supplied, etc.
● Liaise between internal departments (swim staff) and outside agencies and vendors
● Interact positively with all children, families, board members, and staff at all times
● Serve as key point of contact for all Youth & Camp programs, providing a friendly, kind, and welcoming experience for children and families
● Be familiar with and ensure that all program and agency policies are communicated clearly and followed appropriately
● Maintain strict confidentiality regarding families and staff
● Maintain accurate records; prepare and submit reports as requested by supervisor in a timely manner
● Develop a positive work relationship with program staff and JSV co-workers
Additional Expectations: ● Interact positively with all children, families, board members, and staff at all times ● Serve as key point of contact for all Youth & Camp programs, providing a friendly, kind, and welcoming experience for children and families ● Be familiar with and ensure that all program and agency policies are communicated clearly and followed appropriately ● Maintain strict confidentiality regarding families and staff ● Maintain accurate records; prepare and submit reports as requested by supervisor in a timely manner ● Develop a positive work relationship with program staff and JSV co-workers Other Skills, Requirements, Abilities and Personal Characteristics: ● Available to work non–traditional business hours – may require evenings and weekend work ● Minimum of 4-year degree. Masters preferred. (Education, recreation, social work or related field) ● Experience with staff supervision ● Experience working with school-aged children ● Strong attention to detail and organizational skills ● Demonstrated good character, integrity, and trust with confidential information ● Enthusiastic, adaptable, dependable, and possessing an excellent work ethic ● Excellent written and verbal communication skills ● Able to accept guidance and supervision ● Strong computer skills. (Word, Excel, Google Suite) ● Must maintain current CPR/AED (Pediatric and Adult) and first aid certifications ● Personify Software Experience is a plus; ability to learn new software systems ● Knowledge of and comfort with Jewish concepts, traditions, and values ● Valid Driver License ● Submit to Criminal Offender Record Information (“CORI”) background check or as required by the state ● Provide certificate of completion for California child abuse mandatory reporter training or complete before commencing position ● Can do, innovative goal oriented focus ● Accustomed to high energy, noisy and rapidly changing environments Working Conditions ● Fitness Center/Community Center and both indoor and outdoor environment ● Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 45 pounds ● Ability to work within a flexible and on-demand work schedule ● Ability to stand, sit, lift, bend, twist ● Work with children of all ages The working conditions described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the work environment can be noisy and you may be working in close proximity with others. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as phones, computers, and printers. JSV is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and, when possible, to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between JSV and its employees.
How to Apply
Please apply on our website at: https://apjcc.org/jobs/
14855 Oka Road Suite 201, Los Gatos, CA, 95032, United States