GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the general direction from the Administrative Manager, function as an administrative lead. Assist with and coordinate daily operations of practice and special projects. Collaborating with the Administrative Manager will train and mentor secretarial staff. Perform comprehensive secretarial and administrative duties of a responsible and discretionary nature to include meeting/calendar/travel management, expense processing, payroll, management of office space and environment and supply ordering and maintenance. Serve as resource to and provide backup coverage for secretarial staff and for Administrative Manager. Utilizing expert knowledge of office systems and practices, make recommendations to the Administrative Manager for improvements in work processes, workflow and operations; participates in implementation of same.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as lead secretary and functional leader of the administrative team. Work with Administrative Manager to ensure the flow and completion of daily assignments within the office.
- Serve as a resource and provide functional guidance to secretarial staff for questions and assistance regarding work, process and procedure and administrative policies. Assist staff members in troubleshooting work problems. Refer issues of significance to management.
- Create and disseminate process and procedure documentation in conjunction with the manager. Prepare manuals, reference tools, tip sheets and other appropriate materials for secretarial staff.
- Serve as point person for patients regarding feedback and complaints on administrative services. Triage clinical complaints to appropriate providers.
- Participate in recruitment of staff by screening and interviewing candidates; provide feedback and recommendations to Administrative manager. Orient and mentor administrative and temporary office staff; provide feedback to the Administrative Manager.
- Partner with the Administrative Manager to identify training topics applicable to secretarial staff. Coordinate training for office staff and provide feedback on performance. May conduct training as appropriate; maintain knowledge of administrative and medical office practice, insurance, billing and other workplace subjects.
- Serve as a role model for administrative staff members. Exemplify skills in office practice, customer service, communication and team membership.
- Coordinate office space needs to include the assignment of office or work locations, the selection and ordering of office furniture and accessories and the inventory and tracking of these items.
- Ensure office environment meets the needs and standards of the department regarding cleanliness, signage, safety, access and appearance. Work proactively with Environmental Services, Buildings and Grounds and others to address needs.
- Engage in relationship building with internal and external vendors to facilitate work orders, purchases, etc. to foster priority service for Thoracic Surgery and in collaboration with manager, effectively resolve needs and concerns as they arise.
- Enter payroll into Kronos for division members including exempt and non-exempt positions. Ensure that shift differentials for call, nights and weekends are appropriately entered. Work with MGH Payroll office to correct any errors in time reporting. Report issues such as excessive overtime, missed punches, etc. to the Administrative Manager.
- Participate in administrative projects and work with the Administrative Manager, Division Chief and others regarding goals, implementation, tasks and metrics. Work with leaders and staff to ensure project completion and provide follow up, reports and other post-implementation needs.
- Work with the Administrative Manager to establish, revise and implement policies and procedures, to evaluate the performance of the administrative operation, to devise and implement improvements and to monitor and report on the impact of revised practices for use in further review.
- When requested, conduct team meetings on behalf of the Administrative Manager.
- Serve on division and departmental committees in the absence of the Administrative Manager.
- Prior authorization process to ensure that the payers approve the service prior to the service being rendered to the patient. Work with the insurance plans to determine when a service requires a prior authorization. Obtain and input authorizations for non-contracted plans using the EPIC spreadsheet
- Ordering and maintaining office supplies such as labels, envelopes, coffee orders, etc.
- Attending monthly Cadence Forum to stay current on all new information.
- Evaluates, and coordinates admin schedule
- Assist in phone supervision and ensuring staff are answering phones in a timely manner.
Students, Observers, Events
Coordinate the non-employee process for medical students, physician assistant students, and observers following Hospital guidelines. Assist with system access when applicable. Work with surgeons/mentors/ coordinators to develop an orientation program for each role.
- Summer scholars
- PG Course
Administrative and Secretarial Support
- Provide travel and expense tracking, submission and reporting for clinical and management staff. Effectively use PeopleSoft expense system. Troubleshoot and resolve discrepancies. Ensure reimbursement and payment processing is accurate, complete and timely.
- When needed, make travel arrangements including airline, accommodations, auto rental, and ground transportation.
- Serve as lead on administrative computer systems. Request Shared File Areas and perform keygiver functions. Update, post, and monitor division’s Sharepoint site. Assist Administrative Manager and web site manager with submissions and maintenance of division related materials on intra- and internet sites.
- Process requests for routine supply orders such as office supplies, business cards and lab coats. Ensure ordering is done in a timely and cost-effective manner. Track and monitor expenses to ensure limits are maintained; collaborate with staff to review and revise expenses to meet these limits.
- Coordinate conference room space, including scheduling, room preparation and cleanliness and ensuring audio-visual equipment is in working order. Be proficient in the operation of audio-visual equipment, assist users and perform basic troubleshooting to resolve minor technical difficulties.
- Complete a wide range of responsibilities associated with special events. These include arranging the annual visiting professorship, postgraduate course, division dinners and lectures. Work can include identifying and scheduling appropriate venues, arranging receptions, creating guest lists, ordering food, payment of honorariums and preparing materials for use at presentations.
- Assist the Administrative Manager with marketing and fundraising initiatives, such as preparing lists, mailings and reports.
- Perform routine to complex secretarial tasks such as reception, typing, faxing and calendar management.
- May transcribe, proofread, edit and compose correspondence. Prepare reports, proposals, PowerPoint Presentations, applications and forms which may be of a sensitive or confidential nature. Maintain files.
- Maintain knowledge of medical office practice, insurance, billing and other related information sets.
- Complete special administrative tasks related to projects assigned by management. Provide administrative support for committees, workgroups and ad hoc teams.
- Provide coverage for secretarial staff when requested. Provide coverage for Administrative Manager when needed.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Advanced understanding and skill within a medical practice to include knowledge of practice operations, insurances, billing, administrative process and equipment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint and able to work with databases and other computer systems as needed
- Exceptional communication skills: oral and written as well as excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally
- Demonstrated skills in overseeing the work of others and able to function as a leader with demonstrated ability in coordinating the work of others, training, mentoring and assisting at the highest level of administrative need
- Skills in working with all levels of personnel and across the organization
- Good command of English language, including medical and scientific terminology
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Is knowledgeable and compliant in all hospital, State and Federal regulatory requirements, including hospital policy and procedures (where applicable to the performance of the job), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, health care administration, or related field preferred.
Minimum of 5+ years direct and progressively more responsible administrative experience in an outpatient care setting required
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer.By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
: MA-Boston-MGH Main Campus
: Administrative Support
: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
: Day Job
: Mar 7, 2023