Electrical Engineer (Power Generation) (Sr, Sr II, Principal), Salt Lake City, UT #109872
Date:Jun 13, 2023
Location:SALT LAKE CITY, UT, US, 84116
JOIN OUR TEAM
PacifiCorp is seeking customer-centric candidates to grow and sustain our commitment to a culture of customer service excellence, environmental sustainability and diversity, equity and inclusion.
Leads functional teams and provides technical oversight in performing all phases of electrical projects. Assists with internal training for engineers and technicians. Communicates and collaborates well with upper management and engineering team on higher-level projects. Recommends and implements changes that benefit the company. Performs advanced engineering functions associated with the planning, design, licensing, construction, operation, and maintenance of the company’s generation facilities.
• Oversee installation, inspection, and commissioning of new equipment.
• Conduct site inspections to ensure adherence to engineering standards.
• Run testing equipment and performance tests.
• Under limited direction be responsible for overseeing the specification, design, and maintenance of the following thermal generation electrical equipment: transformers (generator step up, startup, and auxiliary), medium and low voltage breakers, motor control centers, generator excitation systems, large/medium voltage induction motors, large utility synchronous generators, cathodic protection, battery banks, uninterrupted power supplies, arc flash studies, and protective relays.
In addition to the above responsibilities theSenior Engineerposition includes the following:
• Design, develop, modify, and evaluate systems, process, or facilities to support Company objectives, utilizing engineering methods.
• Develop moderately complex electrical engineering studies, plans, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, and performance assessments.
• Determine methods and techniques for obtaining results.
• Guide and direct associate level engineers, technicians and drafters.
• Recommend alternative solutions to management in area of specialty on engineering solutions to meet business needs.
• Deliver on commitments and manage outside engineering services to accomplish the assigned work.
• Maintain project timelines and budgets.
• Act as a lead/expert in the work group; train and mentor associate and career level engineers, technicians and drafters.
• 10-20% travel is required to support various activities as assigned with overnight stays.
• Rotational 24 hour on-call support for one week duration periods.
In addition to the above responsibilities theSenior Engineer IIposition includes the following:
• Analyze and design engineering methods.
• Provide technical oversight and guidance to all Engineering staff.
• Lead project teams in the development of critical engineering solutions.
• SME for regulatory compliance. (FERC, NERC, WECC)
In addition to the above, thePrincipal Engineer
• Independently conduct highly complex engineering research studies and technical analyses in areas of specialized expertise not commonly available or obtainable in the competitive engineering market.
• Provide technical expertise for critical plant and/or facility components.
• Develop detailed design specifications and prepare bid packages for external engineering services and similar contracts to support the needs of the business.
• Review, investigate and evaluate system and equipment performance, tests and analyses performed by senior Engineering staff.
• Participate in government, industry, collegiate and other applicable associations or work groups which have the ability to influence or set policy impacting the future of our utility.
• Determine methods and techniques for obtaining results.
Requirements for theSenior Engineerrequirements include:
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from an ABET accredited college/university.
• A minimum of five or more years’ experience in industrial power systems or electric utility power systems, or related professional experience.
• Project management and leadership skills including the ability to work as a team member, to maintain project timelines, budgets, and deliver on commitments.
• Understanding of Company’s business, and relevant policies, procedures, and practices.
• Knowledge of applicable federal, state, local laws, regulations and the National Electric Codes (if required for the position).
• Ability to perform effectively in high-pressure situations while maintaining focus and calmness.
• Ability to provide timely assessments with limited information and/or assumptions.
• Proficient with the use of personal computers, plotters, printers, and other general office equipment.
In addition to the above, theSenior Engineer IIrequirements include:
• A minimum of eight or more years’ experience in industrial power systems or electric utility power systems. A Professional Engineer (PE) license is preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of principles in a specialty area of electrical engineering.
• Utilize project management and leadership skills to maintain project timelines, budgets, and deliver commitments.
• Ability to achieve an understanding and adhere to company’s objectives, policies, procedures, and practices.
• Demonstrate professional oral and written communication and collaboration skills involving the ability to work cross-functionally to understand requirements, present alternatives, and make recommendations.
In addition to the above, thePrincipal Engineerrequirements include:
• A minimum of 15 years industry experience as a practicing engineer, including experience performing highly technical work of a specialized nature.
• A PE license is required.
• Project management and leadership skills including the ability to work as a team member, maintain project timelines, budgets, and deliver on commitments.
• Highest level of communication and interpersonal skills involving the ability to work cross-functionally to understand requirements, present alternatives, and recommendations.
• Expert knowledge and application of principles in area of engineering specialty. Understanding of the Company’s business and relevant policies, procedures, and practices.
• Advanced power electronics or machine theory
• Electrical trades training or work experience. (Electrician, I&C Tech, ect)
• Mechanical aptitude
Req Id: 109872
Company Code: Pacificorp
Primary Location: SALT LAKE CITY
Department: Rocky Mountain Power
Personnel Subarea: Exempt
Hiring Range: $85,500-$133,000
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without an accommodation.
Benefits: Health care, retirement, paid time off, tuition assistance, paid short-term and long-term disability, paid bereavement leave. For more information, please visit: https://careers.pacificorp.com/content/New-Benefits-Page/?locale=en_US
At PacifiCorp, we celebrate diversity, equity and inclusion. PacifiCorp is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status (except as required by law), gender (including gender identity and expression), sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran or military status, familial or parental status, marital status or any other category protected by applicable local, state or U.S. federal law.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and drug screening.
Nearest Major Market:Salt Lake CityCareer Segment:Facilities, Electrical Engineering, Power Systems, Thermal Engineering, Electronics Engineer, Operations, Engineering, Energy