Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system at UChicago Medicine as a Registered Dietitian I with our GI Clinic. In this role you will partner with the rest of the clinical team to provide patients the highest quality of care.
As a Registered Dietitian II in an outpatient setting, you will assess nutrition status, develop intervention strategies and monitor/evaluate nutrition care plans for endoscopic weight loss surgery patients as a member of the gastroenterology service line. Perform duties in support of, and in compliance with, performance improvement plans, and with requirements of regulatory, accrediting, and licensing agencies. Educate patients, caregivers, and interdisciplinary healthcare team members about the effectiveness of therapeutic diets on improving nutritional status prior to a weight loss procedure and establishing optimal outcomes post procedure.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs the nutrition care process (nutrition assessment, nutrition diagnosis and determination of care goals, nutrition intervention, and monitoring and evaluation) for patients at nutrition risk and others identified per department standards as in need of nutrition care. Provide age-specific patient education (assessment of learning needs and barriers to learning; communication with patient/caregivers and assessing learning transfer) and develop materials as needed to augment the education process. This includes (depending upon specific position) but is not limited to:
- Calculates nutrient requirements and intake
- Assesses need for and determines appropriate composition, rate, etc. of enteral tube feeding and standard parenteral nutrition, if applicable
- Uses computer programs to access information and communicate with other members of the interdisciplinary team
- Documents clinical care according to organizational guidelines
- Mentors dietetic interns, if applicable
- Become credentialed to independently order medical nutrition therapy, per UCM policy PC 220, “MNT Managed by a Registered, Licensed Dietitian”.
- Confers and communicates regularly with interdisciplinary team members about patient needs and problems
- Keeps current with nutrition and dietetics research and incorporates into daily practice
- Precepts dietetic interns, dietetic students, and students from other disciplines as assigned
- Performs other duties assigned.
- Registered Dietitian (RD) by the Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist (LDN) by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Division of Professional Regulation
- BS degree in Nutrition, Dietetics, or other relevant major, OR other BS/BA and completion of didactic program in dietetics, OR MS degree in Nutrition and completion of didactic program in dietetics
- Successful completion of coordinated program, dietetic internship, or other experience approved by the Commission on Accreditation of Dietetic Education
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to work with weight loss patients and multidisciplinary staff from diverse cultural, educational, and ethnic backgrounds
- Computer literacy (minimum Outlook, Word, Excel, Epic)
- 0 -3 years of clinical experience (1 year of clinical experience preferred)
- Job Type/FTE: Full-Time (1.0)
- Shift: Days – 8-Hour Shifts
- Unit/Department: GI Clinic
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Why Join Us
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
ApplyRefer to a FriendShare with your social network