Location: Lansing, MI, US
Company: Consumers Energy
Join the diverse and dynamic team that powers Michigan's largest energy provider and one of the nation's largest gas and electric combination utilities. Consumers Energy services 6.7 million of Michigan's 10 million residents - caring for our friends and neighbors in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties. We embrace a cleaner and leaner utility vision focused on eliminating energy waste and adding renewable energy from sources such as wind and solar.
At Consumers Energy, we offer more than just a place to work. We foster a culture that supports career development, growth, and stability, and we take pride in offering our co-workers excellent benefits and compensation packages. We are deliberately creating an inclusive culture that makes our diverse team of co-workers feel valued, supported, and empowered every day. We're a company made up of thousands of people, all with different stories to share and work to do, but we stand united in our company purpose: world class performance delivering hometown service.
The Demand Side Management team is responsible for programs that provide new ways for customers to engage with their energy use. These include demand response and energy waste reduction. The team is composed of program managers who bring together facets from across the company to run the programs, including marketing, sales, engineering, electric supply, rates and finance.
The Director of Residential Demand Side Management will work directly for the Executive Director of Demand Side Management. The role is responsible to direct product lifecycle management of a portfolio of Demand Response (DR) and Energy Waste Reduction (EWR) products including development of product strategies for each product as part of cohesive category strategy. This role is responsible to manage product portfolio performance to align with corporate goals and execute on product strategies, balancing long-term goals with operational feasibility. The Product Management team is responsible for setting product strategy, optimizing product performance and solving for gaps in order to achieve Clean Energy Plan and Integration Resource Plan MW, MWh and MCF targets.
This role is responsible to:
- Oversee development of product strategies and plans for DR and EWR products designed for customers in the Residential sector
- Manage execution of product plans to deliver product results and achieve sector goals
- Understand product performance and solves gaps
- Co-design customer experiences for products within the category
- Co-manage relationship with solution partners
- Oversee product revisions through product refinement process (for revisions to existing categories)
- Optimize the category portfolio by understanding what products are performing best relative to others and recognizing gaps in portfolio product diversity (i.e. growth rate, %of total available market)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 10 yrs applicable Product, program or project management experience
- Management and leadership experience
- Experience with demand side management products and approaches (Energy Waste Reduction, Demand Response, batteries and storage, etc.),
- Experience with financial analysis, business case development and budgeting
- Exposure to marketing methods and customer communication and go-to market plans
- Utility regulatory experience including Public Service Commissions and System Operators (ex: MISO)
- Customer-centric innovation and product development experience
- Experience with strategy development
- Ability to balance strategic planning with plan execution
- Lead team in problem solving
- Oversee week to week product operations including partner management, IT functions and marketing/sales activities
- Oversee development of monthly MW, MWh and MCF targets, track performance monthly and weekly and oversee Plan, Do, Check, Act process
- Commission the development of new pilots and oversee the development of those pilots (managed by Product Support team)
- Oversee the evaluation and measurement of product demand and energy impacts
- Oversee Monthly $ budgeting and forecasting
- Involvement in political and regulatory environment (updates to Michigan Public Service Commission Staff, witness in the Company’s regulatory filings, advisor on internal regulatory and policy strategy)
- Set up and effectively manage task forces, steering committees, etc
- Oversee regulatory case development such as rate cases (including collaboration with partners) and track outcomes
- Become involved in industry organizations (e.g. PLMA, AESP, EEI)
- Ensure portfolio is aligned with Customer Experience Organization strategy
- Develop the team and remove barriers
HOURS AND TRAVEL
- Meet travel requirements of the position
- Work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc., and may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 40 pounds. The recommended maximum weight for employees to lift without the aid of other employees or a lifting device is 35 pounds.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Nearest Major Market: Lansing Job Segment: Manager, Engineer, Law, Product Development, Marketing Manager, Management, Engineering, Legal, Research, Marketing