Primary LocationWork LocationsOrganizationScheduleUnposting DateJob FunctionJob Level
Ohio Department of Public Safety - Ohio State Highway Patrol
Report in location: 740 E. 17th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43211
Work hours: Cadets will reside at the academy Monday through Friday
**To be considered for this position, you must apply online. Paper applications will not be accepted**
Ohio State Highway Patrol Cadet (Trooper) Requirements
Applicants MUST be or have:
United States Citizen
20 to 34 years of age
High School Diploma or GED
Valid Drivers License (Ohio residency must be established prior to commission)
Answering yes to any of the questions presented below will NOT result in the rejection of your application at this time.However, if you decide to continue with the selection process, your applicationMAYbe rejected after an official review of your application packet by the Highway Patrol Screening Committee.
1. Have you, recently used any of the following that was not prescribed by a physician: speed, steroids, cocaine, crack, heroin, amphetamines, or any other drug of abuse?
2. Have you recently used marijuana?
3. Have you ever sold or established pattern abuse of any of the following: heroin, cocaine, LSD, crack, crank, or PCP?
4. Have you pled Guilty or No Contest to or had a conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol and or drugs within the past five years, or more than one charge ever?
5. Are you currently in the Pretrial process for any criminal charge other than a traffic violation?
6. Do you currently have six or more points on your driving record in any jurisdiction?
7. Have you ever been convicted of or plead Guilty or No Contest to the following:
A. Aggravated Vehicular Homicide (2903.06 Ohio Revised Code).B. Aggravated Vehicular Assault (2903.08 Ohio Revised Code).
8. Have you ever failed to meet the requirements of child support statutes, or a court order relating to the subject, due to a reason other than your inability to pay?
9. Have you ever been a participant in any of the following acts?
A. Sexual relations with a child or a person of a childlike mind.B. MolestationC. VoyeurismD. IncestE. Forced a person into a sexual actF. Coerced a person into a sexual act by intimidation, intoxication, deception
10. Have you ever been convicted of domestic violence or a domestic violence related offense?
*Applicants must enter their FULL LEGAL NAME AND MIDDLE INITIAL on the application.
Example: If your name is James Brent Smith, but you go by "Jimmy," enter James B. Smith on your application.
*Applicants must provide a current email address on the application. Applicants will be contacted via email.
*Applicants must have uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 in each eye separately, correctable to 20/20 monocular vision. If your vision is worse than 20/100, you will be instructed regarding your options and you will not be permitted to continue. If your vision does not meet standards, you should call our office at 614-466-6019 or 1-866 TROOPER to cancel your examination and find out what your options are. In addition, applicants must also meet hearingstandards. Applicants must be able to perceive a stimulus within the frequency range 500 (Hz) to 3000 (Hz) at a tone not to exceed 30 (db).
*The Ohio State Highway Patrol has an appearance standards policy that includes information to address tattoos and body art. The policy reads:Tattoos or body art shall not be visible while in uniform.
*Trainees will complete a prescribed curriculum of intensive academy training. During this time, Trainees are paid $18.66/hr. and receive benefits while in training. Trainees reside at the Academy 24 hrs/day and 5 days/week. Trainees will be subject to working during these hours, but will be compensated for 40 hours of work, as completed.
Background Check Information
*Applicants will be required to complete the application process including a written exam, Physical Fitness Assessment, pre-employment polygraph examination, drug test, in-depth background investigation, and a psychological assessment.