About Our Job
Denver International Airport is the 20th-busiest airport in the world and the 5th-busiest airport in the United States, serving 64.5 million passengers and generating more than $26 billion for the region annually. DEN is the largest and newest commercial airport in the United States and consists of 15 million square feet of built environment.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, this position is responsible for assisting in implementing the Concessions master commercial plan. This position will also manage the Concession Concourse Managers, overseeing over 140 businesses located within the concourses, new concessions in the main terminal, and landside concessions. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a highly skilled leader who is committed to excellence and thrives in a fast paced, dynamic environment. The Senior Director of Airport Concessions works with the entire airport community, internal and external business partners and stakeholders, and employees.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Provides oversight to concessions development and analysis, concessions administration, and concessions tenant design and construction, leveraging external consultants as needed to support all aspects of the program.
- Oversees the Concessions RFP process working in close partnership with the Procurement team.
- Maximize concession profitability by driving team performance in streamlining processes and innovation.
- Develops and establishes concessions standards, procedures, systems, and guidelines for DEN. Provides expertise, consultative guidance and direction for the SVP and executive team.
- Provides financial analysis on a regular basis to optimize revenue generation.
- Working with the SVP, establishes and supports the strategic initiatives, goals, and objectives within the division and measures performance regularly.
- Develops and implements strategies for optimizing performance with the goal of meeting or exceeding the established KPI performance benchmarks.
- Ensures all budgets remain at or below established targets.
- Resolves operational and management issues, makes decisions that include multiple perspectives, and solves underlying problems. Contributes to the development and implementation of section work plans based on the annual and strategic plans.
- Strategic Business Planning and Analysis. Develops innovative practices to streamline processes as DEN grows its commercial program.
- Coaches and mentors staff. Champions continuous improvement, including devising new strategies and new opportunities. Leads staff development initiatives that include training, development, and succession planning. Establishes performance expectations and standards for all levels of employees to achieve or exceed performance metrics and prepare them for the future.
- Other duties as assigned.
DEN is looking for a leader with demonstrated business and political acumen and a sound understanding of the business and financial practices necessary to continue to develop a quality concessions program. DEN is also looking for candidates with strong critical thinking skills, business intelligence experience and strong data analytic skills.
We are looking for candidates with some or all the following skills and experience:
- 7 years of professional experience with concessions and/or related commercial experience.
- Experience running an airport concessions program.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel and exhibit credibility with others.
- Demonstrated leadership and positive performance skills as it relates to managing staff.
- Proven track record of strategic Business Planning and Analysis.
- System integration experience with revenue tracking software.
- Strong experience in Propworks Database management.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration Management, Aviation Management, or a related field.
- Experience: Five (5) years of management level work experience in a complex corporation or airport or a related industry. Two years of management experience must include budget and fiscal oversight, evaluation of business processes, policy development and implementation, and decision-making experience with planning and organizing multiple projects, operations, or functions.
- Licensures/Certification(s): None
- Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
FBI Background Check: FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony convictions and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance and be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.
Snow / Emergency Duties: Denver International Airport is a 24/7/365 team operation. If weather conditions warrant or an emergency crisis occurs, all DEN employees can be required to work extended hours and/or shifts.
About Everything Else
CA0794 Aviation Director Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$113,875.00 - $182,200.00
Based on Education and Experience
Denver International Airport
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.