PARK RANGER - 37000935
TALLAHASSEE, FL, US, 32310
Requisition No: 808295
Agency: Environmental Protection
Working Title: PARK RANGER - 37000935
Position Number: 37000935
Salary: $2,730.00 monthly
Posting Closing Date: 08/07/2023
State of Florida
Department of Environmental Protection
Our Organization and Mission:
The Work You Will Do:
PARK RANGER (37000935) – RESIDENCY REQUIRED
TALLAHASSEE/ST. MARKS GEO PARKS
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated, hardworking individual with strong leadership and communication skills to fill the position of Park Ranger at the Tallahassee/St Marks Geo Parks. This position provides visitor service, maintenance, protection, administration, and resource management at Lake Talquin State Park. The position also supports park operations at additional parks within the Tallahassee/St. Marks Geo Park. The applicant must have the ability to perform varied tasks utilizing equipment and tools. The applicant must also be able to work rotating shifts including evenings, holidays, and weekends. The selected candidate will be required to reside on park property in a 3-bedroom mobile home.
The Difference You Will Make:
Florida state parks are managed and preserved for enjoyment by all through providing appropriate resource-based recreational opportunities, interpretation and education that help visitors connect to the Real Florida. SM
How You Will Grow:
Where You Will Work:
Lake Talquin State Park
14850 Jack Vause Landing Road
Tallahassee, Florida, 32310
Lake Talquin State Park is nestled on the bluffs of Lake Talquin, an 8,850-acre impoundment of the Ochlockonee River. Located just west of Tallahassee, this park offers numerous recreational opportunities including fishing, hiking, and boating. A large, covered pavilion is great for events and picnics. The boat ramp provides access to a premier fishing destination in the Florida Panhandle.
This position also supports park operations at the Tallahassee/St. Marks Geo Parks which includes: Econfina River State Park, Lake Jackson Mounds Archaeological State Park, Letchworth-Love Mounds Archaeological State Park, Natural Bridge Battlefield Historic State Park, San Marcos de Apalache Historic State Park, St. Marks River Preserve State Park, and the Tallahassee-St. Marks Historic Railroad State Trail.
The Benefits of Working for the State of Florida:
- Annual and Sick Leave benefits;
- Nine paid holidays and one Personal Holiday each year;
- Retirement plan options, including employer contributions (For more information, please click );
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Tuition waivers;
- And more!
For a more complete list of benefits, visit www.mybenefits.myflorida.com .
$2,730.00 monthly / $32,760.00 annually
Your Specific Responsibilities:
Compliance with the processing requirements of Chapter 215.422, F.S. is mandatory. Persistent failure to comply with this section by any agency of teh state shall constitute good cause for discharge of employee duly found responsible, or predominately responsibe, for failure to comply .
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Carpentry, electrical and mechanical repairs
- General maintenance of facilities and equipment
- Good public relations and ability to deal with people effectively
- Resource management techniques and ability to participate in all aspsects of resource management
- Basic prescribed/wildfire concepts
- Using various hand tools
- Small engines
- Using power tools
- Operations of vehicles
- Handle computer and cash register transactions and reconciliation of receipts
- Participate in all facets of resource management
- Communicate effectively verbally, and in writing
- Work rotating shifts including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Understand and apply rules, directives, laws, regulations and policies
- Effectively work with others
- Identify and investigate problems
- Conduct various environmental and cultural history interpretive programs and services
- Learn two-way radio communication equipment
- Maintain a valid driver license
- Successfully complete ranger academy
- Successfully complete a background and fingerprint check
- Reside on park property
Valid Driver’s License
BACKGROUND SCREENING REQUIREMENT:This position is a Position of Trust. Any applicant being considered for employment must successfully complete a Level 2 State and National criminal history check as a condition of employment before beginning employment, and also be screened in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 435, F.S. No applicant may begin employment until the background screening results are received, reviewed for any disqualifying offenses, and approved by the Agency.
Contact: Randy Rabon, Assistant Park ManagerRandy.Rabon@FloridaDEP.gov
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE.Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Certain service members may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here . All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market:Tallahassee