Job Location: Seattle, WA (Corporate) - Seattle, WA
Position Type: Full-time
Education Level: MS
Salary Range: Undisclosed
Travel Percentage: 10%
Job Category: Engineering
Shannon & Wilson is a geotechnical and environmental consulting firm with offices in 14 cities. It maintains one of the best private technical libraries in the industry, with a collection of over 25,000 books, reports, papers and journal titles, as well as more than 3000 maps. The collection covers geotechnical engineering, geology, environmental engineering, natural resources, and local history.
Shannon & Wilson is looking for an enthusiastic, collaborative, and innovative librarian to serve as a full-time solo librarian in the corporate headquarters, Seattle. The librarian provides reference and research assistance to 300 employees in 14 offices. The librarian is responsible for collection development, acquisitions, and cataloging for all 14 offices.
This position supervises Seattle Records Department staff (3 F/T + 1 P/T), who are responsible for maintaining internal records and project-related databases.
This position oversees the management of the corporate archives, which is maintained by a member of the Records Department with a background in archives.
Specific Position Responsibilities
- Answer reference questions from staff in all offices
- Conduct in-depth research using in-house collection, online resources, & ProQuest databases
- Document delivery
- In-house collection
- Purchase documents
- Borrow from University of Washington (going to campus to pick up items)
- Interlibrary loan through OCLC WorldShare; includes lending items to other libraries
- Cataloging – SydneyEnterprise & Presto (OPAC)
- Copy catalog in OCLC and import MARC records to SydneyEnterprise
- Original cataloging
- Maintain OPAC on Presto (edit records and pages)
- Regularly publish lists of new items
- Serials management
- Manage subscription renewals
- Check in issues
- Create and distribute table of contents alerts; fill requests for new articles
- Collection development/acquisitions
- Add relevant books, reports, papers to collection independently and as requested by staff
- Ensure standards collection is current
- Ensure manual collection is current
- Weed collection as needed
- Maintain physical library
- Check in returned items & reshelve
- Maintain and develop content for Library pages on S&W Intranet
- Post regular news items, e.g., upcoming conferences, webinars, podcasts, calls for abstracts, relevant news
- Maintain list of upcoming conferences/webinars
- Educate staff on copyright law / field copyright questions
- Renew CCC annual license
- Request permissions & handle license payments for re-use of copyrighted material in S&W reports
- Citation formatting
- Create formatted reference lists for S&W reports
- Add formatted references to catalog for staff to cut & paste into reports
- Professional organization memberships – maintain database & handle renewals
- Conduct library orientation for new staff
- Supervise Seattle Records Department staff
- Follow Shannon & Wilson's Quality Assurance policy.
- Follow and promote Shannon & Wilson’s Health & Safety and Loss Prevention policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- ALA-accredited MLIS/MLS
- 10+ years of experience, with 3-5 years of progressively responsible library experience, preferably in a corporate or engineering/architecture library
- Excellent organizational and verbal/written communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Office suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, the use of relevant information resources (e.g., Compendex, GeoRef, TRID, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity, and ability to innovate and adapt to a continually evolving environment
- Experience with SydneyEnterprise or Sydney+
- Experience with Presto
- Familiarity with engineering standards and codes
- Coursework in geology or engineering
- Supervisory experience
- Records Management experience
Typically, depending on an applicant’s education, experience, other qualifications they possess, if they are a fit for the company and local office culture, and the current business needs, a Senior-Level Administrative Assistant typically would be placed at a Shannon & Wilson Senior Office Services level.
Shannon & Wilson is an Equal Opportunity Employer