Department Description Student Housing and Dining Services (SHDS) is a self-supporting auxiliary that provides housing and dining services to approximately 15,000 undergraduate, graduate, and students with families who live in on-campus residential facilities (university owner/managed and Public-Private-Partnerships), as well as providing residential, retail and catering dining services for the campus community. SHDS also provides student support and conference housing services to the campus and general community. For more information about SHDS visit our website at http://www.housing.ucdavis.edu . Student Housing and Dining Services has adopted the following Diversity, Equity and Inclusion statement: Student Housing and Dining Services, is committed to serving the needs of students, staff, faculty and guests from various backgrounds and identities. In full support of our institutional commitment to embrace diversity and practice inclusive excellence, we expect every member of our community to acknowledge, value, and uphold the guidelines set forth in the Principles of Community. As a community of scholars and life-long learners, we commit ourselves to learning together about our differences and commonalities while growing in all areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion. The Dining Services unit is comprised of residential dining (4 dining commons serving a combined average of 5,900 meals per day), retail operations (over 15 outlets of; local convenience stores, branded concepts and food trucks) a campus catering operation serving special events across campus, and an onsite campus commissary and bakery where local goods and ready to eat products are produced..
Reporting to the unit Chef and Sous Chefs, cook all food assigned to standards of excellent taste, quality & appearance. Prepare food from scratch including entrees, starches, vegetables, gravies & sauces, soups, breads, desserts, etc. Work independently preparing entrees & following recipes & menus & batch cooking guidelines without direction. Maintain unit standards for product quality, service, cleanliness, communication, training & work order flow. Prepare menus for special events or meals. Continuously monitor & receive customer orders, read tickets, monitor ticket times, communicate when assistance is needed for timely completion of orders. Receive & review incoming shipments, & confirm quality & safety of product entering the facility, as well as accurate product delivery & invoicing. Interact with internal & external customers by demonstrating professionalism, enthusiasm & integrity. Convey welcoming attitude. Guide, delegate, & collaborate a wide range of tasks to student assistants. Keep work area clean & debris free. Identify & correct hazards. Ensure compliance with State & Federal Sanitation Guidelines. Perform full range of kitchen cleaning. Maintain security of Unit equipment and supplies.
$18.86/hr. - 24.16/hr.
No. of Positions
Percentage of Time
Part Time, 70%
Apply by Date
Position requires frequent daily bending, stooping, reaching overhead, pushing, pulling, walking, standing, and lifting material and supplies weighing up to 50 lbs. Some tasks may have a high rate of repetition, making the same motion or use of a tool (with the force of up to 25 pounds) up to 3 hours at a time (between regularly scheduled breaks). Use of a ladder when retrieving items from high shelves. Use of various industrial kitchen equipment such as: ranges, ovens, slicers, mixers, grill during the course of scheduled shift. Stand continuously (up to 8hrs with regularly scheduled breaks). Work with constant interruptions, distractions, and noise. Work in an environment of high heat and humidity (up to 8 hours with regularly scheduled breaks).
- THIS IS A PARTIAL-YEAR CAREER POSITION:
- Employee will be scheduled to work an average 70% annually. This position is subject to furlough (June-September and could be scheduled up to 90 days) and curtailment periods (spring and winter holiday breaks).
- This position is subject to completion of a Pre-Placement Medical Exam provided by Employee Health Services, at no charge to the applicant.
- Work flexible/variable schedule (sometimes in excess of scheduled shift) including occasional overtime, evenings/nights, weekends and holidays, occasionally on short notice to meet operational needs. Vacation may be limited during peak operational times.
- Use Personal Protective Equipment [PPE] such as hot mitts, safety shoes, goggles and cut resistant gloves.
- Work in areas where there is frequent contact with residents and guests and that can be hot, cold, dusty, wet and/or smelly.
- UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space. Additional information and specifics regarding the policy are available at http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/index.html
- Position is a mandatory reporter for known or suspected child abuse and requires that a statement acknowledging the requirement to report child abuse be signed.
- Experience providing excellent customer service in a fast-paced food environment.
- Culinary experience and/or equivalent training in a high-volume, fast-paced food production environment.
- Experience with culinary techniques, including but not limited to: sauteing, grilling, frying, steaming, and preparing sauces and stocks.
- Skill to prepare recipes and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Skills to communicate in English, both orally and in written form to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and interact effectively with co-workers, supervisors and guests.
- Experience to maintain a sanitary, safe and organized personal work area.
- Knowledge of cuisines from varying customer bases, including Regional American, Asian, Italian and Mexican, Vegetarian, Vegan.
- Arithmetic skills to increase or decrease recipe yields and to convert standard culinary measurements. Skill to check recipes, recognize problems and make corrections as needed.
- Experience to taste and discern product quality, read and interpret recipes and menus, estimate ingredient requirements, check production and keep records to accurately plan production requirements and request supplies and equipment.
- Knowledge of UC policies and procedures.
- Experience reading, interpreting and delivering food product based on customer orders.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with and provide excellent customer service to a diverse campus community; communication skills to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Problem solving skills to troubleshoot problems as they arise, find alternate solutions, and implement solutions in a professional and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of proper procedures for lifting, handling broken glass and skill to use wet floor signs when mopping floors or cleaning up spills.
- Skill to verify proper concentration of sanitized solution using test strips.
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks. EEO/AA Statement The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
$18.86/hr. - 24.16/hr.
No. of Positions
Percentage of Time
Part Time, 70%
Apply by Date
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucdavis/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=7&JobOpeningId=18584&PostingSeq=1
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved. Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-199b5dcd699bf44a9fbb8f981f34c3a6