OUR MISSION The BRICK Education Network (BEN) mission is to relentlessly knock down all barriers to students’ academic success. Our innovative model aligns an individualized excellent education with the necessary family support to make sure each and every child can succeed. It’s our vision that each and every child will have an unimpeded path to unlocking their limitless potential.
To learn more about BRICK Education Network, please visit http://www.bricknewark.org
Joining the BRICK Education Network is a great opportunity to be part of an exciting entrepreneurial organization. BEN’s unique approach to transforming public education puts successful students and world-class schools at the center of vibrant communities. Powered by diverse leaders and a commitment to fighting the status quo, BRICK is building resilient, intelligent, creative kids by equipping them with a high-quality, nurturing education and thriving, engaged families to support their success from cradle to career.
The South Ward Promise Neighborhood, a BEN initiative vision, believes that through our coordinated pipeline of services and resources, we can guide and support families so that their children can live in healthy homes, succeed in school, contribute to their communities, and thrive in life. The SWPN Promise Navigation is a whole family system of care that provides a holistic strategy within five-life domains. Promise Navigation supports families from crisis to sustainability, and offers services and resources on their journey towards thriving, educational success, asset building, and workforce development.
Role: The Navigator/CHW, a member of the care team, primarily works within the milestones services stage which is focused on supporting families throughout their journey from cradle to career. The Navigator/CHW is someone who really understands our community, is aware of what resources are available, and has walked in the shoes of the families we support. Navigators will regularly check in with families to facilitate long-term engagement and meet critical life milestones as well as conduct outreach and education events that strengthen bonds between SWPN and the community.
Success in this position is measured by the long-term engagement of families in achieving key milestones such as their child’s regular attendance at school, up to date health checks including physicals and routine immunizations, and other key indicators of wellbeing and success in children and families’ lives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Outreach and Education:
● Collaborate with community partners to address social determinants of health issues that clients may encounter.
● Participate in community engagement activities for outreach, community empowerment and non-traditional partnerships to link families to housing, employment, transportation, food, etc.
● Conduct outreach, networking and provide education through tabling and community events
● Requires flexibility to work weekend and evening hours to participate in events
Navigation and Milestone Services:
● Work closely with Navigation manager to maintain a caseload of families
● Make regular follow-up calls, community and home visits to families
● Utilize strength-based approach to work with families to set and track goals based on family’s individual needs and desires related to employment, education, housing, transportation and other relevant issues
● Motivate families to meet these individualized goals
● Assist families with organizing their records, making follow-up appointments, and filling prescriptions
● Help families fill out applications for benefits like insurance, food stamps, housing vouchers, school enrollment, camp and after school programs and others
● Meet families in a clinic, hospital or the community, to provide support including the assistance of self-management goal-setting that promotes social and behavior change
● Document each family encounter in detail
● Prepare reports and documents as needed or requested
● Attend regular team meetings
● Work with other CHWs in the region to build skills and learn
● Adhere to the SWPN policy and procedures in professional development and conduct
● Other duties as reasonably assigned
Milestones Performance, Data and Evaluation:
● Data entry including, service entries, units of service, service planning and deliveries and stability stage tasks
● Document all contact with families and outreach activities at the time of service/event in the electronic care management system (ECM)
● Complete the CLG-CHW Training Institute and Apprenticeship on the job training for certification under NJ DOH GAINS program
● Minimum of 3-year(s) experience working in community-based organizations, engaging and supporting families and life experience, knowledge of community and families served.
● A proactive, strength-based and solution-focused growth mindset with excellent interpersonal skills, problem-solving ability, and time management.
● A knowledge of or willingness to learn and a strong commitment to the families and community served and demonstrate urgency to identify and remove barriers to success
● A passion for service and possesses a resilient, positive mindset
● A commitment to serving children and an unwavering belief that all students can succeed
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Ability to carry out written and oral instructions
● Ability to exercise judgment in the application of professional services and maintain appropriate boundaries
● Comfortable with home visits and outreach in the community
● Must have access to reliable transportation
Salary, Goals and Employment Period
● Salary Range: Based Upon Experience / Performance Contract
● Employment Period: Twelve Months
● Fringe Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401 K
BRICK Education Network is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other protected category. BRICK promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.