0942 - City Distribution Division Manager
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, City Distribution Division
Salary: $172,094.00 - $219,596.00/year
Filing Deadline: 4/12/2021 5:00:00 PM
This is a Position-Based Test conducted in accordance with CSC Rule 111A.
Who are we?
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC)
Headquartered in San Francisco, we have 2,300 employees working in seven counties with a combined annual operating budget of over $900 million.
Our Mission: To provide our customers with high quality, efficient, and reliable water, power, and wastewater services in a manner that values environmental and community interests and sustains the resources entrusted to our care.
Our Vision: We are an innovative utility leader, recognized for excellent results in service, safety, stewardship, and inclusiveness.
We are an award-winning and industry-leading utilities organization committed to our customers, community interests, and the environment. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at https://www.sfpuc.org/
We are proud of our infrastructure and programs, but most importantly, we value our highly qualified and dedicated workforce which ensures that this vision becomes a reality. As you explore career opportunities with us, download our career guide and learn about what you can expect during the hiring process.
Position Description: Under the direction of the Assistant General Manager for Water, the City Distribution Division (CDD) Manager exercises responsible charge of SFPUC Local Water System facilities in San Francisco as well as the related personnel, buildings and grounds. This position is responsible for managing day-to-day operation and maintenance of major water system infrastructure, including dams and reservoirs, treatment plants, pumping stations, potable water distribution pipelines, and emergency firefighting water facilities in San Francisco County (see Map) in order to deliver high quality drinking water service to retail customers and water for firefighting purposes in San Francisco. Since this is critical service upon which San Francisco depends for long term health, safety and economic prosperity, this position requires high level managerial leadership of administrative, operational, maintenance and engineering staff; sustainable stewardship of public infrastructure; immediate responsiveness to unanticipated events that threaten the Local Water System services or other emergencies involving the Division’s staff or facilities; and faithful representation of the Division in public meetings where SFPUC drinking water policy contracting, budgeting and related public concerns are discussed.
Work Location: SFPUC – City Distribution Division Office, 1990 Newcomb, San Francisco. Job duties may require travel to SFPUC Headquarters in San Francisco and occasional travel to regional facilities and job sites.
Work Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00 – 4:00pm (On-call for emergencies)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The CDD Manager will report to the Assistant General Manager for Water on local water system distribution and management activities, collaborating with theenterprise management team and supporting the work of other Water Enterprise
- Supervise the Division’s management staff, supporting their personnel
management efforts, defining their work objectives, and coordinating their collaboration to deliver services. There are currently four subordinate managers, who are responsible for the work of about 300 in-house staff and a multitude of contract resources.
- Leading the CDD in the advancement of racial equity work and the implementation of the Water Enterprise’s Racial Equity Action Plan. The CDD Manager will be responsible for demonstrating achievement in meeting the objectives of the Racial Equity Action Plan.
- The CDD Manager will oversee:
- The management of Local Water System operations in San Francisco;
- Maintenance of Local Water System Facilities;
- The Division’s compliance with dam safety and environmental and
- Maintenance engineering, planning and design required to get the most from
public investment in local water facilities;
- Preparation of staff for response to water system emergencies;
- Responsible request and use of annual operational and capital improvement
- Constructive engagement and development of staff and provision for their
- Positive and effective communication within the Division and externally to its
- Development and preservation of the Division’s institutional knowledge.
The Ideal Candidate: San Francisco’s Public Utilities Commission seeks a confident, results-oriented leader and manager who is passionate about the environment and public service. The ideal candidate will be responsible for overseeing multiple major projects at one time to ensure budgets are contained and timelines are met. They will also champion working in a fast-paced, supportive environment where collegiality, professionalism, teamwork, and an appreciation for fun are valued.
Compensation and Benefits: The 0942 - City Distribution Division Manager, SFPUC will be compensated within an annual salary range of $172,094 to $219,596 annually. Appointment above the maximum of the normal range may be considered based on documented and substantiated recruitment and retention issues or exceptional skills. A special approval process is necessary for appointment above the normal salary range.
The City also provides an excellent benefits package, including:
- Retirement – Through the San Francisco Employee Retirement System (SFERS) a defined-benefit retirement is provided under the “2.3% at 62” miscellaneous employees’ formula.
- Life Insurance – Life insurance is provided in the amount of $50,000.
- Benefits – Eligible Municipal Executives may enroll themselves and eligible family members in medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Executive Leave and Vacation – Five days of paid executive leave and five ‘floating holidays’ are provided annually.
- Vacation days are accrued at increasing rates starting with ten days annually in the first five years of continuous service, rising to twenty days annually after completing fifteen years of continuous service.
- Legal Holidays – Eleven (11) paid legal holidays per year.
- Sick Leave – Thirteen (13) days annually.
For additional information regarding benefits, visit: http://sfdhr.org/benefits-overview
Equal Employment Opportunity: The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.
- Job ID: 56304176
San Francisco, California, United States
- Position Title: City Distribution Division Manager
- Company Name: San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, City Distribution Division
- Job Function: Operations