GENERAL POSTING FOR POSSIBLE VACANCIES FOR REMAINDER OF 2022-2023 SY AND 2023-2024 SY
BOARD OF EDUCATION
CENTRAL OFFICE BOOKKEEPER
JOB TITLE:CENTRAL OFFICE BOOKKEEPER
- High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Post-secondary training in bookkeeping/accounting, OR
- Four (4) years' successful experience in bookkeeping with comparable responsibilities in a public or private enterprise, OR
- Three (3) years' successful experience as bookkeeper with comparable experience in a school system.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word and Excel software.
- Experience with Harris/Next Gen Software preferred.
- Ability to operate a computer and utilize software applications for word processing, spreadsheets and other functions.
- Experience in computerized accounting.
- Must meet background clearance requirements as specified by Alabama statutes and State Board of Education regulations.
Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO:Chief School Finance Officer
JOB GOAL:To assist in the administration and the smooth and efficient operation of the Finance Department.
- Regular and punctual attendance required; full compliance with leave policies.
- Provide secretarial services which include typing correspondence, answering the telephone, receiving and distributing mail, reproducing letters, reports, and other communications.
- Assist CSFO with reports and/or tasks as assigned.
- Observe Alabama Local School Accounting Procedures.
- Perform system-wide bookkeeping services for all cost-centers recorded on the general ledger.
- Maintain files and accounting records for all cost-centers.
- Conduct routine bookkeeping duties such as posting ledgers, balancing accounts, reconciling bank statements, reporting, and making bank deposits.
- Assign purchase orders and other related documents to the procurement of materials and supplies.
- Assist in the verification of general ledger codes on all purchase orders.
- Communicate with vendors regarding invoice/billing procedures.
- Verify monthly travel reports and forms and prepare statement for Accounts Payable for payment.
- Issue checks for approved purchases and travel reimbursements.
- Verify all utilities and process for payment.
- Keep accurate records of encumbrances on all funds.
- Check statements to ensure that all invoices are paid.
- Assist with preparation of monthly and annual financial reports.
- Maintain appropriate ledgers of fund accounts at the Central Office, enter debits and credits, verify computer print-outs, and balance such accounts as required.
- Prepare local, state, and federal reports as required for reimbursement, indirect costs, and other purposes.
- Assist with preparation of annual budget drafts for Board approval.
- Process calendar year-end 1099s.
- Cross-train on bookkeeping functions and assume work assignments within the department as requested.
- Assist with Payroll functions when needed.
- Work cooperatively with other staff.
- Serve as resource to schools and departments for accounting and financial matters.
- Assist with the closing of the fiscal year as assigned.
- Keep supervisor informed of potential problems or unusual events.
- Attend training sessions, conferences and workshops as assigned or appropriate to keep abreast of current practices, programs and legal issues as well as maintain certificate issued through the Alabama Association of School Business Officials.
- Interpret and enforce statutes, Department of Education rules, system policies and procedures as they relate to school system accounting and finance.
- Exhibit interpersonal skills to work as an effective team member.
- Perform other tasks consistent with the goals and objectives of this position when requested.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:Twelve Month contract.NON-EXEMPT EMPLOYEE.
EVALUATION:According to Board policies, administrative procedures, and guidelines.
SALARY:Appropriate placement on current salary schedule.