PURPOSE:The Manufacturing Engineer plans, directs and coordinates the development and refinement of manufacturing processes. Develops, evaluates and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of materials, parts, tooling and production equipment capabilities, efficiencies, safety concerns, assembly methods, best engineering principles, and quality control standards.
- Document production equipment and processes to improve manufacturing process control, safety, and quality
- Create manufacturing process and controls to include documentation for production activities
- Support manufacturing operations in trouble shooting existing products and processes to minimize scrap and waste and assure reliable manufacturing capability
- Utilize Six Sigma methodology to make improvements to process to improve process capability & quality
- Respond to manufacturing problems or product non-conformances by using various quality tools to identify root cause, determine most effective solutions and implement corrective actions
- Identify and improve manufacturing profitability through productivity improvement, waste reduction and safety improvement
- Optimize production tooling and work holding to improve safety, quality, cost, and/or throughput
- Work with the Tooling Department to optimize production tooling requirements and design
- Work within company policy as outlined in the Faxon Handbook
- Perform other duties as assigned by the manager as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training and/or experience
- Solid background in 3D CAD techniques - Solidworks
- Previous machining background using CAM software preferred - Mastercam
- Experience in a machining environment including lathes, mills, edm and inspection equipment
- Understanding of GD&T, working drawings, and engineering terms and standards.
- Proficient in the current release of SolidWorks, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel
- Ten (10) or more years of experience related to manufacturing environment
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Must possess strong work ethic and project management skills
- Manage time effectively, in order to accomplish highest-priority goals and objectives
- Demonstrates effective spoken and written communication skills
This position also has a role in a professional office environment which routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud when on the shop floor. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may frequently be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. When in the office environment the employee is in a sedentary role, however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bending or standing on a stool as necessary.
HEALTH AND SAFETY:
- Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations.
- Follow Company safety rules.
- Report the absence of or defect in any protective equipment or clothing to the Supervisor or Manager immediately.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area.
PERSONAL PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that is required to be used or worn
(When applicable to work environment):
- Safety shoes
- Safety glasses
- Hearing protection
- Other types of PPE as needed