If you are unable to complete this application due to a disability, contact this employer to ask for an accommodation or an alternative application process.
The Senior Therapist is a role model in demonstrating outstanding clinical assessment, interpretive, and treatment delivery skills; shares these skills with others to ensure the competency of the team and optimal patient outcomes. The incumbent is responsible for all technical and designated administrative functions of Radiation Therapy for their assigned office(s). The Sr. Therapist reports to the Regional Technical Manager (RTM) for the assigned region and is accountable to the administrative manager of the department (VP/RVP/RA) as well as the Chief Physicist regarding technical issues. This position does provide direct patient care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior Therapist is responsible for supervising the technical/clinical staff within assigned office(s), as it is related to patient care and treatment delivery. The Sr. Therapist is challenged to delegate responsibilities among staff radiation therapists towards ensuring accuracy in all tasks and realizing the effects of his/her tasks. The incumbent can ultimately be responsible for assuming the same job responsibilities of a staff radiation therapist and therefore must remain competent with simulation and treatment delivery. The Sr. Radiation Therapist oversees all work related activities of those supervised according to the applicable job description.
- Actively serve as a leader in the radiation therapy department, directly working with other radiation therapists, and other department members.
- Monitors technical accuracy of treatment setups.
- Participates in specialty areas such as instruction, new simulation procedures, IMRT, IGRT, Stereotactic Radiotherapy and Radiosurgery, Total Body Irradiation, HDR program and is responsible for the safe utilization of the Record and Verify System, including the ability to teach and assist others in the proper use of the system. Must demonstrate knowledge and ability to perform all aspects of treatment delivery.
- Directly supervises and manages the technical staff including Radiation Therapists, Nurses, and Medical Assistants (as assigned)
- Monitors and directs patient transporters and couriers as it is related to patient care and treatment delivery. This requires working as a team with the RA and other staff members.
- Participates in the clinical instruction and evaluation of the Radiation Therapy Technology students.
- Assumes lead responsibilities if asked in the absence of another Sr. Therapist or Regional Technical Manager. Interacts with both internal and external constituents professionally
- Interacts with both internal and external customers professionally
- Assists the physician and P.A./Nurse Practioner in the center(s) as needed with patient problems and upcoming changes in the patients’ course of treatments.
- Coordinates the activities of the staff radiation therapists and nursing teams, as assigned, to ensure quality treatment delivery and maximum utilization of equipment and personnel.
- Oversees the correct and appropriate use of the electronic medical record.
- Oversees simulation and treatment of patients receiving radiation therapy.
- Oversees scheduling of patients and clinical staff to assure appropriate coverage is maintained.
- Coordinate weekly chart rounds meeting.
- Perform quality assurance review of charts for all patients undergoing treatment.
- Coordinates, attends and participates in regularly scheduled technical/clinical staff meetings. Demonstrates ability to lead and support departmental meetings when called upon by the VP/RVP, RA or RTM.
- Conduct regularly scheduled clinical staff meetings no less than once per quarter (preferably monthly) using sign-in sheets to document. Provide typed meeting minutes and action plans to the RTM and the RA and follow up on pending items.
- Maintain a productive relationship with the physics and dosimetry departments. Establish practice patterns that ensure the timely readiness of treatment plans, including QA for initiating patient treatment and follow-up.
- Coordinate call backs and emergency treatments, including after hours care.
- Perform quality assurance review of all patient charts after completion of treatment.
- In coordination with the physicians and physicists, develops, maintains and revises continuous quality improvement measures; instituting corrective processes when necessary. Complies with all reviews and standards established by the department’s Quality Assurance program and the Continuous Quality Improvement committee.
- Monitors all new patient starts, including boost fields to ensure efficient operations superior patient care.
- Reconcile the actual daily treatment stats with the DTS and report inaccuracies to the Regional Technical Manager and Medical Coder.
- Follows up on machine, computer, and other equipment problems
- Ensures proper notification of machine down time is followed. Follows up on all Machine Problem Reports to ensure proper process reporting is complete per policy.
- Monitors quality assurance and morning warm-up performed on treatment machines and simulation equipment, including on board imaging and/or portal vision. Oversee the proper completion of QA forms and logbook.
- Ensure proper par levels of supplies in assigned offices(s). Directly orders or delegates the responsibility to order supplies that are needed in the office on a regular basis with the assistance of the RA (as needed). Follow established policies set by the Purchasing Department.
- Responsible for training new staff and ongoing continuing education/training for system upgrades or new services to include updates to company policies and procedures
- Responsible for annual clinical staff evaluations and ensuring that required competencies and mandatory training and compliance activities are completed.
- Demonstrates cooperation and is responsive to all staff members. Models appropriate behavior-courteous, respectful, constructively assertive and listens effectively. Effectively utilizes problem solving and negotiation skills to manage conflict.
- Participates in or leads employee disciplinary action(s) as required following established policies and procedures under the advisement of the regional human resources representative.
- Generate weekly, monthly, and annual statistical reports as required by Administration i.e. weekly patient forecasts
- Monitors departmental compliance with the regulatory agencies and report deficiencies to the Regional Technical Manager, site Physicist, and Regional Administrator.
- Monitor the professional credentials of the clinical staff to ensure all licenses/certifications/registrations are current/good standing, and not expired.
- Report employee accidents/occurrences—completion of documentation and follow-up.
- Report patient accidents/occurrences—completion of required documentation.
- Participate in regulatory and compliance preparedness initiatives and/or projects.
- Participates in employee performance and competency reviews.
- Works closely in coordination with the Regional Director and/or Regional Administrator(s) regarding the day-to-day operation of the clinic(s).
- Completes clinical staff orientation and progress forms for all new clinical staff, per Technical Services policy and procedures
- Assists with the hiring process, including interviews, selection
- Participate in regulatory and compliance preparedness initiatives and/or projects.
- Report employee misconduct or harassment in a timely matter using the process that is detailed in the employee handbook.
- Ensure continuity of clinical leadership by designating an “acting” Sr. Therapist in your absence (vacation, day off). The acting Sr. Therapist assumes the role of Sr. Therapist until your return.
- Monitor staff break-times, and lunch, addressing and documentation of excessive breaks.
- Reports and documents vacation and sick time for self and others under supervision
- Anticipate and plan for staff vacancies due to illness, FMLA, etc. Communicate the anticipated or expected need to the Regional Technical Manager and RA.
- Attends and participates in regularly scheduled continuing educational activities. Actively seeks management-focused educational opportunities.
- Maintain active membership in professional organizations; participates in professional activities by attending meetings, serving on committees or task forces, writing and/or presenting scientific papers.
Complies with and supports all company/departmental policies and procedures. Consistently exceeds a required level of performance. Acts as a positive role model in complying with all safety regulation governed by such agencies as OSHA and HIPAA. Demonstrates knowledge about utilization of proper equipment and body mechanics (lifting) consistently applies this knowledge and shares it with staff members. Promotes and emphasizes strong teamwork
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an approved School for Radiation Therapy.
- ARRT Registered Technologist (T)
- State licensed (mandatory where required)
- Must be in good standing with all CE and license requirements.
- CPR certified
- Computer literate, to include experience with the following:
- Record & Verify Applications
- Treatment Delivery Applications
- Electronic Medical Record
- MS Office Suite
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; good organizational skills; confidentiality; excellent interpersonal skills; positive interaction in dealing with patients.
CONFIDENTIAL AND SENSITIVE INFORMATION:
- Must properly control the release of proprietary and confidential information.
Job Description Clause:
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by team members and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.