The Sr. System Administrator role is to maintain and expand our network and technology infrastructure. The ideal candidate will be able to manage our WAN, LAN, SAN and server platforms, while looking for ways to grow our networks in a cost-effective way to meet future needs. Will be responsible for developing infrastructure maintenance and growth plans, creating annual and project capacity plans, mentoring the IT staff and keeping team up to date on the latest technologies that could help the company to succeed.
Additionally, the Sr. Systems Administrator will assist in overseeing the physical security, integrity, and safety of the data center/server farm. We are looking for someone who has the drive, initiative, and technical know-how to take our security practices to new levels.
Education & Certifications:
• Bachelor’s or technical degree in the field of computer science or management information systems or a related discipline.
• Microsoft or Networking certifications desired
Knowledge & Experience:
• 7+ years’ experience in a Server Administrator role
• 10+ years’ experience with Server Operating Systems, VMware, Backup software, and related technologies in an enterprise environment.
• 5+ years’ experience with enterprise storage systems (Dell, EMC, HPe, etc.) in a SAN configuration.
- Expertise with Networking (TCP/IP, WINS, DNS, DHCP.)
• Must have a strong understanding of monitoring, capacity management and provisioning as related to supporting and enhancing large Windows hosted applications and virtualized infrastructures.
• Possess a thorough understanding of monitoring and management systems such as Microsoft SCCM, Solarwinds, PRTG and other monitoring platforms.
• Excellent working knowledge of computer systems, security, network and systems administration, databases and data storage systems, and phone systems
• Experience and proficiency with various web-based software applications including Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, etc.
• Comprehensive understanding of network architecture and client/server technology
• Firm grasp on IT infrastructure and operations best practices
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills with the ability to investigate and weigh alternatives and select the course of action that provides the greatest benefit to the organization.
- Creative thinking skills with the ability to ask the needed bigger-picture questions that lead to process improvements
- Excellent project management skills, effective multi-tasking, time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Good written and oral communication skills; good interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
These duties are not meant to be all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned.
Operations Management (50%)
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of the infrastructure.
- Assists with hardware and software solution installation, configuration, and maintenance following established procedures and change control standards.
- Facilitates day-to-day operations activities such as identifying and applying patches and firmware upgrades related to storage, servers, applications, network, virtual environment, and backups systems; configuration audits, capacity planning, and performance analysis.
- Configuring, managing and deploying servers in a VMware environment and must demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of VMware.
- Ability to ensure the technical integrity of corporate data by protecting against the loss or misuse or information and designing backup/recovery strategies.
- Must have experience with Incident & Problem Management activities, including Escalations, Root Cause Analysis tracking, process improvements of existing support functionality.
- Manages changes to server configurations following IT management and security guidelines.
- Document and implement configuration standards for utilization & manageability of datacenter systems.
- Interface with other technical staff regarding availability of the infrastructure, health of the hardware, technical considerations for planning and managing hardware replacements.
- Provide support for end user issues and trouble ticket resolution.
Strategy & Planning (20%)
- Architect, Implement and support infrastructure solutions in a team environment
- Assist and develop infrastructure strategies to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Act as project lead in the design and review of new server systems, applications, and hardware; conduct capacity planning as needed.
- Lead, coordinate and participate in key process improvements as they relate to the client/server environment.
- Coordinate and collaborate with network and server engineering, business application, and database administration function to ensure availability, reliability, and scalability of corporate servers to meet business demands.
- Establish, document and implement standards, procedures, and technologies to ensure system availability, security and integrity.
- Build disaster recovery plans, with backups and business continuity, for cloud and on premises solutions; multi-cloud, hybrid cloud etc.
- Educate users on system functionality and promote a better understanding of the IT architecture.
IT Network Security (20%)
- Provide secure operation of the enterprise-level network, focusing on network security components (IDS / IPS, firewalls, internet filtering, etc.).
- Offer plans for improving security controls.
- Design optimal security practices for supporting new and existing business processes / applications.
- Mitigate project security risks.
Coaching & Mentoring (10%)
- Provides the technical leadership.
- Coach and mentor junior team members on IT standards and best practices.
- Suggesting changes, improvements and training for team member development.